Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who are you? (a line from Elle's favorite movie)

With our first child, I realized that many personality traits are in place since birth. I discovered that personalities are far less determined or formed by the parent's influence, or lack of, as I once thought. Parents may nurture, encourage, push, etc, but I've found that the child will still be that child, and eventually adult, that she or he is meant to be. Eloise's personality when she was 1 week old is 100% the same as it is today. As a newborn and infant she was curious, fearless, demanding, affectionate, stubborn, very serious, unbelievably outgoing, independent and not easily comforted. For those of you who know her, I think that you'd agree that those traits all ring true today. I thought that I'd document what George's personality seems to be to see if it holds true 1, 2, 30 years from know. George, in a nutshell, is sensitive, afraid of new experiences, loves to smile and laugh (silly), very active, quick tempered, wants to be around people and part of the action, talkative, needs to be cuddled and held. We seem to have two very different children. Eloise would never take a bottle and would rather starve than give in, George would drink out of a garden hose. We would spend hours in Elle's face trying to get a smile or a rare laugh, George smiles at you even if you even happen to make eye contact across the room and he laughs and talks to you if you pay him any attention. Eloise would cry uncontrollably at times but was content playing on her own and to this day can occupy herself for hours, George is happy as long as he is held...but he must be held. One thing that these two have in common...they undeniably love each other very much.


1 comment:

Halley said...

Love this;)